At this time, Youth4Climate has phased out our Weekly Calls program. However, we are keeping this section of our website as a repository for the resources found below. Thanks to the participants and all of the incredible work that went into this program!
Weekly Calls for Climate Youth Leaders
WHEN: Every Thursday 4-5:15 pm PST
WHAT: High School students gathering to share ideas, learn about climate and organizing, build community, and get inspired and empowered! Led by students. Each week students are assigned climate buddies based on your goals.
WHERE DO I SIGN UP? Fill out this form, and we’ll send you the zoom call info.
Most weekly calls include (see slides and key topics below):
- Check ins
- Grounding exercises
- Learning something new
- Bringing new people up to speed
- Creating weekly goals for ourselves and checking in on our progress
- Taking action!
Resources From Past Weeks:
- Communicating our climate story
- Down to Earth with Zac Efron – Iceland’s impressive renewable energy efforts
- Making art about climate justice!
- What is climate justice?
- Slogans and Phrases
- Petitions and Resources
- How to get involved
- Spring / Summer Y4C Teams
Simona Coayla-Duba opened up our call for the second week with a mindfulness session where we were guided through a reflective body scan. Then, our guest speaker Tyler Valdes provided us with an extremely insightful segment on finding our purposes & intersecting them with our future career goals!
Here are some wonderful resources provided at today’s call:
- Thara Bening’s presentation on her work fighting against plastic pollution in Indonesia
- A Brief History of Plastic
- The Life Cycle of a Plastic Bottle
- The Plastic Bag Diet
- What is JEDI?
- The Pillars of Climate Justice
- What is Intersectionality?
- How does intersectionality affect climate justice?
- Why is Anti-Racism so important to our work?
- Some JEDI Resources
- create our own pieces of art focusing on the climate crisis!
- examples of art made by Y4Cers!
- Youth v. Oil + Public Comments
- origins of Black History Month and spotlighting some Black environmentalists
- addressing exclusion of BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and disabled individuals in the climate movement
- resilience exercise
- Food and the Environment
- Vegan Dishes
- Y4C Impact on the Election by Communications Team
- Biden’s Climate Plan and Election Debrief
- Monica Montgomery for San Diego City Council President
- Resilience Activity
- California Climate Change Scoping Plan by Education and Outreach
- Tactile Activity
- Group Breakouts Session
- Weekly Action
- October 24th: Socially distanced walkout for voting awareness
- October 24th: Youth Voting Party
- Resilience Exercise:
- Paper Star
- October 26th: Purple Mountains Movie Screening
- Strategic Campaigns Team: Upcoming campaigns to raise awareness and fight against fracking.
- October 24th: Socially distanced walkout for voting
- Green New Deal Explained
- Avoiding Burnout
- Pre-Registration Party (10/6)
- Registration Party (10/6)
- Voting Party (10/24)
- Climate Buddies
- Weekly Action
- Voting Registration Art Build (9/22)
- Kick-off (9/24)
- Vision Reflection
- Climate Action Recap
- Ocean conservation and plastic pollution by Kate
- Cinema Club
- This weeks documentary: A Plastic Ocean