- For anti-plastic waste and pollution legislation at the city, state and national levels
- For schools to phase out plastic and other harmful materials from their campuses
- For local businesses to reduce their use of plastic bags and packaging
- For a cultural shift of our society’s dependence on plastic
- Middle and high school students about the plastic pollution crisis via webinars, social media informational posts, and virtual events
- School leaders and officials about how they can teach their students about the plastic pollution crisis and influence their schools’ impact
- San Diego youth to take action for the plastic pollution crisis and become involved with the environmental movement
- Young environmental activists to use their voice and power to make a difference
Plastic pollution is one of the most well-known environmental issues of our time. However, the fossil fuel industry and the national government continue to sweep this issue under the rug. Because plastic use and waste is higher than ever before, we must act now. As San Diego youth, we can make a difference in this global crisis by helping our peers, schools and communities change the way they use and approach single-use plastic materials.
The Plastic Free Gen Z project will bring youth from across San Diego together to discuss, organize, and take action to influence how our communities use single-use plastic. Collaborating with Youth4Climate’s Strategic Campaigns team, the Youth v. Oil campaign, and other groups, this project will host virtual events and activities to engage the public in our efforts to reduce San Diego’s “plastic footprint”.
Join the Team
What Volunteers Do:
- Brainstorm ideas for our events and projects
- Collaborate with other Y4C teams
- Have the opportunity to take on leadership roles
- Co-facilitate events
- Craft social media presence and use graphical design to promote campaign
What Do Our Meetings Look Like?
- Team bonding, check-ins, and discussions
- Announcements and opportunities
- Video breaks to learn more about the plastic crisis
- Plastic action updates and calls to action
- Team updates, discussing legislation and policy actions
- Outreach updates and discussions
- Updating and scheduling timeline
- Wrap up and to-dos!
How to Get Involved
The Plastic Free Gen Z Team meets weekly on Mondays at 7:00 pm PST. To get involved, fill out SD350’s Volunteer Interest Form and tick “Plastic Free Gen Z” under the Youth4Climate volunteer team section. You can also contact Eva Geierstanger at email@example.com for more information
In addition to the project objectives listed above, a key goal of Plastic Free Gen Z is to provide youth activists with as many leadership opportunities as possible. There will be a weekly rotation of facilitator, notetaker, and agenda maker roles and each member will have the opportunity to host virtual events and lead side projects! This project will encourage members to contribute their ideas and participate in the round-table atmosphere of the weekly meetings.
Our “almost Gen Z” members are considered honorary Gen Z at our meetings. 🙂