Spring 2023 Earth Day Campaign:
Seeking Student Organizers and Teacher Supporters
This Spring of 2023, Youth4Climate’s Eco Club Coalition is supporting students in organizing dynamic, coordinated Earth Day events at 10-30 high schools in San Diego County. Thousands of student attendees will learn about climate justice and action, and take concrete action such as trying low-carbon foods, participating in rallies, contacting electeds, and composting.
To support this program, we seek two (2) committed teacher supporters and five (5) passionate student organizers, all of whom will receive honoraria for their dedicated work.
Our program will prioritize schools in environmental justice neighborhoods, i.e. communities disproportionately impacted by pollution, including parts of Oceanside, El Cajon, Barrio Logan, Sherman Heights, Downtown San Diego, National City, City Heights, West Chula Vista, and San Ysidro / Otay Mesa1.
To apply: Please read the responsibilities below and click on an APPLY HERE link. (The deadline is Sunday, Feb 12.)
Questions? Contact Megan, the Youth4Climate Program Coordinator.
1Data from CalEnviroScreen4.0.
Teacher Supporters (2)
Seeking two teacher supporters to work with students at their high school to host an Earth Day event. Priority will be given to teachers working at schools in environmental justice communities.
Honorarium $500 for teachers.
- Recruit and coach students to plan and organize an Earth Day event, with opportunities for action and ongoing engagement.
- Identify candidates and select one student who will receive an honorarium lead and coordinate their Earth Day event (see Student Organizers section below).
- Mentor students to articulate specific goals and outcomes for the Earth Day event, including calls to action for attendees.
- Support promotion and marketing of the Earth Day event through students, teachers, staff and larger network.
- Support student organizing through consultation and facilitating communication with school administrators and guest speakers.
- Participate in Youth4Climate planning / youth eco club leader working groups.
- Provide a report / participate in survey to evaluate program effectiveness.
- Expectation of ~20 hours.
- Foundational knowledge of climate and environmental action and justice.
- Mentoring students in event planning and project management.
The deadline to apply is Sunday, Feb 12.
Student Organizers (5)
Seeking a total of five high school student organizers to support our Earth Day Campaign. Three of these organizers will support the Eco Club Coalition student leaders by leading a working group (see below).
Two of these students will host an event at their school alongside one of the two teacher supporters. They may receive this position either by nominating or being nominated by a teacher supporter.
Honorarium $100 for students.
- Articulate specific goals and outcomes for your 1) Earth Day Working Group or 2) Earth Day event at your school, including calls to action for attendees.
- Participate in regular Eco Club Coalition meetings.
- Develop an Earth Day and Event Planning Guide .
- Reach out to schools in your area to solicit participation
AND EITHER (1) Lead an Earth Day organizing Working Group (Demonstrations, Presentations, and On-Campus Event) OR (2) Organize an Earth Day event at your school, including working with a teacher advisor closely (see Teacher Supporters section above).
- Specific Responsibilities for Option (1) include:
- Help leaders develop a work plan with specific strategies to achieve goals, including timeline and tasks.
- Keep members engaged and accountable to tasks through individual text reminders, emails, and check-ins.
- Lead weekly meetings / breakout rooms with your WG.
- Specific Responsibilities for Option (2) include:
- Develop a work plan with specific strategies to achieve goals, including timeline and tasks.
- Recruit student volunteers to take on tasks drawing on their interests and strengths.
- Ensure all aspects of the event are happening (program, promotion, and tracking)
- Expectation of ~30 hours.
The deadline to apply is Sunday, Feb 12.